I live in Atlanta- it is loud as fuck at 2am. I am right next to the highway and a train station. I hear cars, train horns, sirens, people yelling, and yes, sometimes the occasional gunshots. It’s fine. However, when you take all of that and add a roommate who comes in at 12am with her friend, the noise is no longer just coming from the outside.
This is how I began soundproofing my room so that I could get a better night’s sleep:
- I added weatherstripping to my door because there were very large gaps between the bottom of the door and the floor, as well as on the sides.
- I hung up 2 tapestries and am in the middle of figuring out how to hang a heavy 4×6 carpet on the wall that is opposite to the living room/TV.
- I have carpets on my floor for sound insulation from music or talking on the inside of my room.
- I bought blackout/sound blocking curtains to lessen the noise I hear from the outside world and to block the porch light that comes on every time my roommate’s friend visits at 12am.
- In addition to all of this, I also wear earplugs AND use a white noise machine that I can hear through my earplugs.
I wanted to buy foam boards to put on my wall, but it’s quite expensive, so I’m working with what I’ve got. We’ll see if this does anything. Last night was actually the first night that I didn’t wake up more than 3-4 times. I’m hoping that hanging that carpet will do the final trick.